Monday, March 30, 2009

Perspective

I always tend to post about Emeric when I'm feeling discouraged and never when it's the other way around so I thought I'd write about how I'm feeling now!

There are times when I start thinking about all the little things with him and feel really overwhelmed. And then there are times when other situations in life really put things into perspective. I think it's so easy to make a big deal out of something that may seem like a huge trial at the time but really is not.

When I look at Emeric's situation and think, "He's going to be so behind in school and get left out and kids are going to make fun of him and...." then I feel sad. But if I look at it and think in the realm of eternity than my perspective changes. Since this world is not our home I know that all of these struggles are temporary. When I look at the situations that other people find themselves in it too puts things into perspective. My friend Lesley, who lost her daughter is one that always comes to mind. There really isn't much that compares to that loss, if anything and it reminds me to be thankful and not to feel sorry for myself.

Stellan's situation keeps my worry, my fear, my anxiety in perspective.

Gracyn, Reese, Landon, and many others remind me to be thankful.

It's easy for me, and I'm sure others, to get caught up in my own struggles and feel like no one understands and then when I try to stop and really think about where Emeric is at, how good his health really is and that while his prognosis is not known it doesn't necessarily make it bad then my anxiety decreases.

Isaiah 40:28-31, " Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

2 Corinthians 4:17, "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."

2 comments:

erin said...

what a great reminder, nicole. thank God that our troubles here on earth are temporary, light, and momentary!
it's interesting that different trials have put emeric's situation into perspective for you. because a year ago when i started reading about emeric, his story totally put things into perspective for me! but it's true. no matter how difficult a situation is, there's always someone who's worse off. it was terrible when ryan was in the NICU after he was born, but he wasn't premature and he didn't constantly have to be revived like the little girl next to him...
but at the same time, God sill wants to hear about what troubles us, no matter how small. i guess it's not our problems that have to change, but our attitude. thanks for posting this.

Heather said...

thanks for sharing your heart, nicole. isn't it great to be reminded that God is in control of everything!!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed